Sunday 18th April 2021(’00): 3rd SUN of EASTER. B
1 AA3:13-15, 17-19 (What’s the problem with v16?)
- Read 3:1-4:31! A set piece to exalt the words&actions of the early leadership!
- What is the equivalent in mySociety&Church of these ‘propaganda’ set-pieces?
- The ‘adversarial fashion’ of blaming ‘Jews/Israelites’ in AA (&elsewhere in NT), while ‘justifying’ oneself, in what ways is this still endemic in our ‘Churches &Society’?
- Why does Peter appear to say, ‘Yes, you’re guilty! No, it was God’sWork through-you’?
- What if everything can be deemed ‘God’sWork’, provided I-also ‘work-with-it’?
2 THE PSALM 42: 4, 7, 9
- Read 4:1-8(9)! The complex experience of one-who-struggles-to-embody-Yahweh!
- From the psalm, what are the FoundationalAttributesOfYahweh’?
- Can I name 5Political or religious leaders who incarnate & inculcate these?
- In what ways is the local church of Armagh an opportunity to-actualise-Yahweh?
- What if the verses omitted in this excerpt have a special, but avoided, significance?
- ‘Face! With so many ‘faces’ on magazine covers, advertisements&TVscreens, what enables me to recognise ‘Yahweh’sFace’ in this flattering&deceptiveAvalanche? (MT25;31-46)
- ‘This!’ Read 1:5-10! How would this ‘testimony’ fit-me as my ‘basic credo’?
- In what ways do ‘Catholic’ & ‘Anglican’ & ‘Presbyterian” ‘basic credos’ differ?
- What are the contemporary disguises&excusations for what used to be called ‘sin’?
- But surely ‘KnowledgeOfHim’ doesn’t also entail ‘EmbodimentOfHim’? Oh boo-hoo-hoo!’
- Read 24:1-49! Which of these many witnesses was truly embraced?
- What if the gospel-acclamation were ‘LordJesus, explain our hearts to us! Make the scriptures burn within us as you talk-to-us!’? Or is the tide too-far-ebbed?
- But also, if set-pieces like this have encouraged a mindset of merely ‘quoting proof texts’?
- Will ‘authoritative teaching’ & ‘dab-it-on scripture’ compensate for ‘biblical narrative’?
5 The presence&action of the BlessedOne, is it like this?
‘Sir! What is the great struggle of faith?’ ‘Friend! The struggle of faith is to embrace, amen! the truth of my coming&going among you!’ ‘Sir! How will disciples recognise your coming&going?’ ‘Friend! In the listening of the book I am always arriving! In the sustaining of the poor I am always departing!’ ‘Sir! With respect! I find your words obscure, the truth you mention too far from my comprehension! Perhaps this is a riddle you offer?’ ‘Perhaps’ Strive, Friend, at all events, to explore its bitter sweetness! “in the faithful marriage of the book & the poor is consummated all my life&death! is constituted all my presence in weakness, all my absence in power!” ‘Sir! I thank you, though reluctantly, for this enigma!& be sure I shall pursue it as a viaticum in my struggle for animated faith! Amen! Amen!
Which is preferable? Continue to trot-out the dessicated ‘dogmatic familiarities’ about Him!
Or risk also encountering Him in new offensive manifestations? Or cautiously&resentfully endure my ‘stress’?
Refections and comments can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org